Familia Número Dos!

I have been MIA for a while. I apologize. I have been settling into my new house and getting ready for school! But before my classes start tomorrow, I wanted to tell you all about the second, and very lovely family I had the honour of meeting and working with for the last part of my summer.

The Wong family, as I had mentioned in an earlier post, was very easy to connect with. I went for my interview and they explained that they were awaiting the arrival of baby number two! The news excited us all and we began to make arrangements for my work times. Wendy had planned on having a c-section. Because if her limited mobility within the first month or so, she knew she would have difficulty moving around and picking up baby. She asked me to work the night shift with her from 9:00pm – 7:00am. I have worked with many newborn babies, but never had I fully worked a night shift with newborns. Boy, was I in for an interesting experience.

The first night came and I will never forget the struggle that both Wendy and I had. Baby and mommy spent three days in the hospital prior to coming home. Milk had come in for baby and so started the cluster feeding. If you are unaware of what this is, I will tell you that, in short, it is when a baby eats nonstop. The phase comes as goes as growth spurts happen and let me tell you, it can be stressful. I wasn’t even the one breast feeding and it was stressful for me. Baby would feed for about 45 minutes to an hour and In less than 20 minutes, he was ready to eat again. Needless to say, the first couple nights, we did not get any sleep. Eventually we did put baby on formula so he would sleep a little bit longer (formula is much thicker than breast milk which meant he wouldn’t get as hungry as fast).

The good that came from it? Wendy and I were able to have very meaningful chats while baby was feeding. We told stories to each other, made each other laugh, and lent listening ears to relieve the stress that was in our daily lives. The fact that Wendy felt comfortable opening up to me about very personal things made me feel very warm and accepted in their family circle.

Wendy’s husband, David, also became a person of great conversation. We both shared a big interest in music. Musical talents and common favourite artists and genres consumed our conversation, again making me feel welcome and at home.

The last family member that I was able to get to know was Madison. Madison is their three year old daughter who is so very cute! I would spend a couple hours with her on Saturday and Sunday late-afternoons and we would color, chalk up the sidewalk with hopscotch and pictures of the sun, and would indulge in our love for Frozen and pretend we were Anna and Elsa and sing all our favourite songs. The instant I met her, we were attached and a love began to form.

I really felt like I became a part of the Wong family in the short time I was with them. I couldn’t have asked for a better family to work with!